With Autumn now closing in we can
reflect on our year to date and what lies ahead in the coming months at BG. On
the Sails side our new sail order lead times have been further reduced allowing
our customers old and new to better schedule their orders with calendar events
and planning. We are now trialling a new 'BG Emergency' initiative where
existing loyal BG customers require prioritised replacement for a damaged sail
for an upcoming event. Terms and conditions are attached to this initiative but
we are aiming to better look after our loyal customers who support us as best we
can. Email for more information. Along with this we are fine tuning the listed
items we supply in our online shop to best help us meet sail order demands as a
priority. Keep an eye out for regular updates and item changes where we hope to
soon have new IOM and M lines plans available for home build in the coming
months along with other items such as pre-cut deck patches.
A week after our return form Gouda, we had the UK Midlands IOM ranking in light to fickle conditions at the Midlands Sailing Club. Our test boat prototype POP managed to win both days events, with Rob Walsh 2nd both days and Josh King 3rd on the Sunday with their Britpops and BG Sails. Full results Day 1 Day 2
August saw the Midlands Marblehead ranking at Watermead where against a fleet of 18 boats, our 20 year old Bantock designed and newly pimped Paradox managed a win in conditions from light A rig, right through to gusty C2 rig. While possibly not the out and out fastest on the water over the day, the Paradox with some simple recent upgrades continues to show well designed and manufactured older yachts have plenty to offer anyone looking to get into the growing Marblehead class at any level. Full results
Over the bank holiday weekend of
23rd-25th of August, the UK IOM Nationals were held on the Queen Mother
reservoir near London Heathrow. Conditions ranged from top end of A rig on Day
1, Light to near nothing on Day 2 and Light to mid range A rig and constant rain
on Day 3. After 3 days of racing it was Tony Edwards with his Britpop and BG
Sails who took the event with some excellent racing using smart positioning and
good speed for a well deserved win making it 4 years in a row for the Britpop
design with 3 different skippers.
In Australia Scott Condie continues to work with us on subtle rig and setup upgrades on our Trance 10 Rater design. Performance continues to improve with a recent convincing win at the ACT State Championship against a strong field of designs. Full results
And finally we can report that our first RG 65 design prototype 'electronica' has had its first sail in a light A rig breeze and all looks as hoped. The coming months in between an IOM Euros in Italy and a 2 Day Fleetwood Marblehead ranking will offer the opportunity to learn and trim the design package before looking to any next step towards competition or production. Many thanks to James Edwards of Robot Yachts for an immaculate clear pre-preg carbon build of our design and his impressive foil package.
results of skippers
using BG Sails and Designs
To date, 2014 has been one of heads down and getting on with things at BG with a full schedule of International and National events now upon us. Sail orders have kept us extremely busy and we continue to work hard to reduce lead times.
On the event front, we have the
Marine Marblehead World Championship in the Netherlands from July 5-11 which
has had our full focus on racing this year. A quality fleet of 70+ boats are
expected with a group of 15 skippers from the UK making the trip for some world
class racing. This is a great effort for the UK as the class here continues its
growth through a dedicated team of owners and the
UK class website.
- The Britpop in its fourth year continues to lead the way in the IOM class as the all round design of choice, continuing to consistently gain podium finishes at the highest of levels.
- Our Grunge Marblehead design remains unbeaten in events since its launch in early 2012, recently winning its 3rd UK National title.
- Trance, our first attempt at the 10 Rater class in design built and prepared meticulously to our specifications by Scott Condie, has remained unbeaten in Australia since taking the National title in its first event sailed in January 2014. The design will continue to undergo an amount of exhaustive testing and refinement before any decision is made on whether it may be suitable for production.
- Due to our commitment to the above International classes, the Electronica RG65 design has had to bide its time until the upcoming prioritised events have passed. Mouldings of prototype hulls and components are completed and the only thing required are a few more hours in the day.
- Our sail shapes and designs continue to show their versatility in not only winning races at all levels on our own designs, but proving easily adaptable to a wide range of other designs allowing our customers a performance gain directly related to what we know to work best for any given class.
As with all of our products, be sure to look for our BG logo, or that what you are buying is a genuine BG designed product if you are serious about your sailing. We are often informed by friends around the world of a growing number of imitations of our work and ask that skippers beware of inferior products that are reflected by their often poor performances.
Results to date of skippers
using BG Sails and Designs
© BG Sails & Design 2014